– There is a 27% rebate on eligible costs at the discretion of the state. This is a basic rate of 25% plus 2% for productions with a Maltese cultural element. This rebate is given in the form of a cash grant. Post production, there is an eligible cost capped at€150,000.There is also a co-production fund encouraging local productions to participate in international projects.
2) Is there a minimum amount of expenditure?
– Minimum of €100,000.
3) Why are these incentives so attractive?
– This is because they are given in the form of a cash rebate on qualifying expenditure incurred in Malta. This will be given if the audit report is presented after six months.
4) What types of productions qualify for such rebate?
– Examples: TV productions, mini-series, documentaries provided that they are partially produced in Malta.
5) Does one need to get their own crew?
– Not necessary as Malta has a highly trained workforce in various film departments. Another advantage is the ability of Maltese to speak in English.
6) How can one find Maltese crew?
– The Malta Film Commission has a list of crew that would have worked on recent films. Once can obtain such information by sending an email on email@example.com or telephone +356 2180 9135.
7) Is the Film Industry or Maltese crew unionised?
8) Do you require a special permit to film in Malta?
Yes. Filming activities in a public location require a permit from the Government Property Division and when filming in specific areas one needs a special permit from various Government entities.
GCB Malta communicated with us within 12 hrs and efficiently set up our company and dealt with all documentations, VAT, Bank... Our client is very happy with the work and so are we! Thanks...
Viviane Patsinos 15/04/2015
"For the last two years, GCB has assisted my small business with a range of financial services, including income tax preparation, VAT filings, and NI payments. In my experience, GCB provides its clients with comprehensive, personalized service at a reasonable price, and with attention to detail."